Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and Principal
- MBA, General Business, Johns Hopkins University
- BS (Distinction), Food and Nutrition, Simmons College
- BSW (Honors), Social Work, Catholic University of America
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN), Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Licensed Dietitian (LD), Idaho Board of Medicine and the Dietetic Licensure Board
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly the American Dietetic Association)
- Idaho Academy Representative, Population Health Workgroup, Idaho State Health Innovation Plan
American Heart Association
- Subcommittee Member, West Virginia Farmer Market Initiative Advisory Committee
American Urological Association
- Member, Interstitial Cystitis Clinical Guidelines Committee, 2009-2011, 2014
- Working Group Member, National Urology Research Agenda, AUA Foundation, 2009
Faculty of 1,000, 2012-present
- One of 5,000 experts invited to recommend peer-reviewed biomedical articles of significance
- Area of expertise: Lower Urinary Tract: Dysfunction, Incontinence & Urodynamics
Other Current Memberships
- Idaho Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- International Association of Urogynecology
- International Continence Society
PAST AFFILIATIONS AND ACTIVITIES
National Institutes of Health
- Steering Committee, Multidisciplinary Approach to Pelvic Pain Research Network
- Coordinating Committee, National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse
- Advisory Committee, Office of Research on Women’s Health Ten Year Plan and Research Agenda
- Internal Review Committee Member, Fogarty International Center
- NIH Representative, National Council on Patient Information and Education
Pain Care Forum
- Chair, Acetaminophen ICON Subcommittee
National Association for Continence
- Website Advisory Board
PEER REVIEWED PRODUCTS
- Tamma S, Shorter B, Koh TL, Moldwin R, Gordon B. Influence of polyunsaturated fatty acids on urologic inflammation. Int Urol Nephrol. 2015 Nov;47(11):1753-61.
- Gordon B, Shorter S, Sarcona A, Moldwin R. Nutritional Considerations for Interstitial Cystitis/Bladder Pain Syndrome. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015 Sep;115(9);1372-1379.
- O’Hare PG, Hoffmann AR, Allen P, Gordon B, Salin L, Whitmore K. Interstitial cystitis patients’ use and rating of complementary and alternative medicine therapies. Int Urogynecol J. 2013 Jun;24(6):977-982.
- Hanno PM, Burks DA, Clemens JQ, Dmochowski RR, Erickson D, Fitzgerald MP, Forrest JB, Gordon B, Gray M, Mayer RD, Newman D, Nyberg L Jr, Payne CK, Wesselmann U, Faraday MM. “AUA guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of interstitial cystitis/bladder pain syndrome.” J Urol 2011 Jun;185(6):2162-2170.
- Gordon B, Allen P, Moldwin, R. Critical partners in interstitial cystitis care. The Pain Practitioner 2010 Spring;20(1):34-40.
- Shorter B, Gordon B, Ricondo N. Update on dietary modifications to decrease risk of prostate cancer in the geriatric population. American Urological Association Annual Meeting; San Diego, CA: 6-10 May 2016.
- Gordon B. Integrating the “Teach Back” Health Literacy Tool into the Nutrition Care Process. Idaho Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics 2016 Annual Meeting; Pocatello ID: 21 April 2015.
- Davis S., Cirerol T, Gordon B. Effect of Energy Drinks on the Cardiovascular System: A Literature Review Employing a Formal Evidence Analysis Process. College of Health Sciences Interprofessional Research Conference. Boise, ID: 11 April 2016.
- Gordon B, Shorter B, Sarcona A, Moldwin R. Development of an Evidence-Based Approach for IC/BPS Nutrition Counseling Poster at: IPPS Annual Fall Meeting on Chronic Pelvic Pain; San Diego, CA: 22-25 Oct 2015.
- Hoffman A, Allen P, Gordon B, Salin L, Whitmore K. IC Patients’ Use and Rating of Complementary and Alternative Medicine Therapies. American Academy of Pain Management Annual Meeting; Las Vegas, NV: 21-24 Sep 2010.
- Hoffman A, Allen P, Gordon B, Salin L, Whitmore K. IC Patients’ Use and Rating of Complementary and Alternative Medicine Therapies. International Continence Society/International Urogynecological Association; Toronto, CA: 23-27 Aug 2010.
- Gordon B. Federal Information Clearinghouses: Valuable Resources for All. Poster at: Colorado State University Colloquium: Health Promotion and Disease Prevention; Fort Collins, CO: 12 Apr 2006.
NON-PEER REVIEWED PRODUCTS
Continuing Education Programs
- Interstitial Cystitis: What Healthcare Providers Need to Know. Interstitial Cystitis Association: 2011.
- Continuing Nursing Education Course: Interstitial Cystitis—Chronic, Common, and Sometimes Complicated to Treat. American Nurses Association: 2010.
- Go Mobile—You’ll be a Finger Tip Away. Dimensions Newsletter, Dietitians in Business and Communications, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Fall 2015.
- Quick Bites—Extending “Don’t Should Yourself” to Your Clients. E-Update, Dietitians in Business and Communications Dietetics Practice Group, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Jul 2015.
- Our Government’s Response to Health Literacy: Plain Language. The Digest. Public Health Nutrition Practice Group. American Dietetic Association: 2005.
Organizational Written Testimony and Commentary
- FDA Assessment of Analgesic Treatment of Chronic Pain. FDA Anti-Nerve Growth Factor Trials: 2012.
- Committee on Research on Women’s Health. National Institutes of Health: 2012.
- Interagency Pain Research Coordinating Committee. National Institutes of Health: 2012.
- Check. Change. Control: Results of a Community High Blood Pressure Education Program. Greater Rivers Affiliate Multicultural Market, American Heart Association: 2015.
- Addressing Health Disparities: GRA Hypertension Program. Greater Rivers Affiliate, AHA: 2013.
- NAI Roundtable Slide Deck. Native American Initiatives. ADA: 2013.
- Substantial Progress: FY 2012 Review. Interstitial Cystitis Association, 2012.
- 2011 Annual Report: Interstitial Cystitis Association, 2011.
- Conquering IC. Changing Lives. Annual Report for the Interstitial Cystitis Association, 2010.
Evaluation Tools and Outcome Analysis
- Providing Healthier Meals—Café Evaluation and Recommendations. Banner Page Hospital, 2014.
- Working to Improve the Lives of Native Americans. American Diabetes Association, 2013-2014.
- Building Evaluation Capacity for Evidence-Based Interventions. Downtown Aurora Visual Arts, 2007.
- What Can I Eat? Train-the-Trainer Program.. American Diabetes Association: 2015.
- Engage Your Culture Outreach Materials. Great Rivers Alliance, American Heart Association: 2014.
- Awakening the Spirit: Staff Training Materials (slides, fact sheet). Native American Initiatives, American Diabetes Association, 2013.
SAMPLE CONSUMER-FACING PRODUCTS
- Awakening the Spirit. Native American Initiatives, ADA, 2011-2014.
- Sisters Together. African American Initiatives, American Diabetes Association, 2012.
- Conquering IC. Changing Lives. ICA, 2008-2013.
- Celiac Disease Awareness Campaign. National Institutes of Health, 2005-2006.
- Bladder Control for Women. National Institutes of Health, 1995-1996, 1998-2002.
- Reproduction Health in The Healthy Woman: A Complete Guide for All Ages, 153-166. Washington DC: HHS, Office on Women’s Health, 2008.
- Skin and Hair Health in The Healthy Woman: A Complete Guide for All Ages, 153-166. Washington DC: HHS, Office on Women’s Health, 2008.
Curriculum and Training Guides
- EmPowered To Serve Health Lessons (12-module curriculum). American Heart Association Multicultural Initiatives, 2014-2015.
- Project POWER: Faith-placed Diabetes Education (6-module curriculum) African American Initiatives, ADA, 2006-2012.
- Foot Care Awareness Lesson Plan. Native American Initiatives, American Diabetes Association, 2010.
Brochures and Fact Sheets
- A Patient Guide to Having a Ureteral Stent. Boston Scientific, 2015.
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy Patient Guide. Boston Scientific, 2015.
- Ureteroscopy Patient Guide. Boston Scientific, 2015.
- Caregiving for Someone with Diabetes: Senior Signature Series, American Diabetes Association, 2012.
Newspapers, Newsletters and Magazine Articles
- Musings on the Mediterranean Diet. Lake Powell Chronicle, March 2015.
- Ask the Expert: Nutrition and Gardening. Lake Powell Chronicle, June 2014.
- Around the World in 50 Observations. ICA Update, 2013.
Tool Kits (Print and Downloadable)
- Ambassadors’ Tool Kit. Multicultural Initiatives, American Heart Association: 2015.
- Don’t Miss Your Next Appointment: The Black Beauty Shop Initiative. African American Initiatives, American Diabetes Association: 2014.
- Special Diabetes Programs—Advocacy Brochure. Native American Initiatives, American Diabetes Association, 2013.
Web Site Content
- www.voicesforpfd.org. American Urogynecological Society, 2014-2015.
- www.diabetes.org, Special Diabetes Program Advocacy Toolkit, ADA, 2013.
- www.ichelp.org. ICA, 2009-2013.
e-News, Podcasts and Twitter Feeds
- Pelvic Floor Dialogues (bi-monthly research highlights in plain language). AUGS, 2013-2015.
- ICA Short Podcast: A Primer on Disability Insurance. ICA: 2012.
- @ichelp. ICA: 2010-2012.
Ready Made Slide Presentations
- Break Free From Pelvic Floor Disorders.Voices for Pelvic Floor Disorders, American Urological Society, 2013, 2015.
- Pelvic Pain.Voices for Pelvic Floor Disorders, American Urological Society: 2015.
- Mom, I’m Hungry Healthy Snacks for Kids—Yup, and Parents, Too! (Adaptation of Academy’ Kids Eat Right Slide Presentation).Banner Page Hospital: 2014.
- Employing the NCP to Treat Individuals with Interstitial Cystitis/Bladder Pain Syndrome [presenter]. Idaho Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics 2016 Annual Meeting; Pocatello ID: 22 April 2016.
- Grant Prospecting: From Government to Corporate Foundations [roundtable speaker]. Association of Foundation Group 10th Annual Conference, Washington DC; 3 May 2012.
- Educating Physicians on Engaging Patients in Advocacy [panel presenter]. American Association of Clinical Urologists 4th Annual Advocacy Conference; Chicago IL: 25 Sep 2011.
- A Day in My Shoes [panel presenter]. DCMADA Annual Meeting: Growing Good Nutrition; Bethesda, MD: 17 Apr 2010.
- Review of IC Research and Anecdotal Findings about Overlapping Conditions in People Living with IC [panel presenter]. Can Studies of Comorbidities with TMJDs Reveal Common Mechanisms; Bethesda, MD: 2008.
- Insights Gleaned from IC Patients [panel presenter]. National Institutes of Health Symposium, Defining the Urologic Pelvic Pain Syndromes: A New Beginning; Bethesda, MD: 2008.
- American Heart Association EmPowered To Serve Curriculum Training Webinar, Dallas, TX: 2015.
- Heart Health. Banner Hospital, Page, AZ: 2014.
- Review of the New Diabetes Dietary Guidelines. Banner Hospital, Page, AZ: 2014.
- How Can We Present Healthier Meals? Banner Hospital, Page, AZ: 2014.
- Beta Testing of the EmPowered to Serve Curriculum. American Heart Association, Dallas, TX: 2014.
- I Used to Be Able to Eat Anything: Nutrition for Our 40’s, 50’s, 60’s and Beyond, Colorado River Discovery Women’s Retreat, Page AZ: 2013.
- Diabetes Successful Disease Management [nutrition education segment]. Business & Health Special Report. Humana Health Care Plans, San Antonio, TX: 1996.